Friday, October 12, 2012

Moving Journey #2: Home is Where the Heart is

Many of you know the saying "Home is where the heart is." In theory that is true, but it is truly hard to live it when you don't know where you might be living or as you are following the moving truck that has all your belongings in the world located inside of it.

This summer we traveled to Iowa from California so that my husband could try out for a position at a church. He was to preach and then the next Sunday the congregation would vote on whether they wanted him as their pastor. That is how it works in a non-denominational church. We were unsure if he would be accepted, or if we would accept the position. It seemed weird to start looking for houses, yet we needed to because we had no plans of coming back to house hunt. We drove all over town looking for houses to rent or buy.

We fell in love with a house that hadn't been updated since the 70's. I loved the layout and everything in the house had been well taken care of. One of the bathrooms had shag carpet going up the sides of the wall. I call the house, "The Shaggy House." It was out of our price range however because of it's indoor swimming pool. Most of the houses were out of our range and if they were in the range, they needed too much work. House hunting was exhausting. One of the times we were driving around looking at houses and we ended up in a cul-de-sac, looking at a big house with a "for sale" sign in the yard. My daughter looked at the house and exclaimed,"That is the one." I told her, "In your dreams." We never could quite find a house before we left. As you probably have figured out, my husband was voted to come and be the pastor at the church and we accepted. The pressure to find a house to live in grew.

We had a hard time finding rentals, so we turned to trying to buy a home. It is a crazy feeling trying to buy a home that we had never walked through but just had seen on the internet. The buying a house option fell through for reasons I will not go into. What were we going to do? There was a family with ties to the church who had moved to work in a ministry organization. They wanted to sell their home but it hadn't sold. They asked us if we wanted to rent it. It sounded like a plan. It sounded like it could be God's plan. We would help them out and they would help us out. Several weeks before our move, plans changed. They got an offer on their home and there was no contract between us yet. How could we say "no" to them? They needed to sell their home and they got an offer to buy it. We felt God's hand in it and we felt that it was going to be okay. As the days went by, however, it didn't seem okay and we started to worry. There were some places to rent. Mostly the options were slim. We were looking for a 2 car garage (for Kirk's special car and project truck) and a place that would allow our dog. We just didn't feel comfortable with the options. Two weeks before our move we got a call from a member of the church that told us  about another option. Someone they knew could help us out....they actually cut us a deal. It was just what we wanted: a house with a 2-car garage, big living space, and they would let us have our dog.

On faith, we packed up our house, our extra car, dog, and children and traveled through 5 states. As we were driving through town trying to locate this home that we get to live in until we find something else, we drove down into a cul-de-sac and end in front of the house that my daughter had originally claimed as "the one".... and yet it was the one. How crazy is that? I thank God that we have a place to lay our heads and thank Him for the laugh. We may move again in the next year into a smaller home or we may get to stay, but it is true that home is where the heart is...as long as I have my family that is all that matters.

*****
10/27/12
I want to amend my last paragraph. Instead of "as long as I have my family that is all that matters" I want to say that Jesus is my true home and I am thankful for the blessing of my family that He has given me -it shouldn't matter what house we live in. I just want to keep my perspective and my family shouldn't be as important to me than Jesus.

1 comment:

Denise Loftis said...

We serve an AWESOME God! Thinking of you. Love ya all da muches!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3