Monday, February 26, 2007

Communion Devotion

*I was suppose to give a communion devotion for church yesterday. About a month before hand I was fretting because I wasn't for sure what to talk about - the angle. Well, I stumbled on a blog called "Silver Bullets" and he had a great message. I asked Tom if I could use his thoughts and I turned it into a great communion meditation. I got a lot of comments on it so I thought I would post it.

Neil Clark Warren, Christian psychologist and founder of eharmony.com, has said that he would like to change the frequency of the marriage vow. He said, “Instead of it being taken once in a lifetime under stressful conditions, I suggest that it needs to be said 2 to 3 times a week for the first 10 years and at least once a week for the rest of marriage. Why? To maintain a steady focus on the promises that form the steel framework of marriage. With this structure in place, it is more likely that commitment will shape the attitudes of the person.”

I think that we all could agree that being married can be hard work. "During stressful times in marriage, wedding vows seem like yesterday’s news, but it is in the repetition of our vows that can renew our commitment."


I am going to suggest to you that our relationship with Christ is much like a marriage and I think we all can agree that this relationship can be hard work at times. Look at it like this, Baptism is like a wedding. It is our statement of trust in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus for our salvation. Participation in the Lord’s Supper is renewing that statement of trust.

I Corinthians 11:26 says, “For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.”

"In modern western culture, we have devalued the necessity and power of ritual." Just as in marriage, spouses take their vows lightly and each other for granted, we as Christians can take our baptism lightly and forget the importance of communion. As marriage partners, if we are continually reminded of the vows we took during the good and bad times, that reminder could strengthen our marriage. As Christians when we take part in communion during the good times and the bad times, we strengthen our trust and renew our faith each week in the Lord. Sometimes communion once a week is not too often.

Let us pray. “Heavenly Father, Some of us here today are living the good life and some of us here are struggling. Whether in good times or bad times, ‘We proclaim our Lord’s death until He comes.’ Help us to do that today and everyday. In Jesus name, Amen.”

No comments: