Monday, March 10, 2008

Psalm39:4-7

I have tried AGAIN this year to read through my One Year Bible NLT, and AGAIN I am behind. I am trying to play catch up. I have to admit that I don't enjoy reading all the ceremonial details in Leviticus - it bogs me down. I feel so guilty for not being able to stay with it. Eventually I get so far behind that I just quit - I need to make it past June this year to beat my record. Maybe I will use this blog once a week to comment on what I read and you can note my progress. If I don't post, however, please get on my case, keep me accountable. Today I was reading the Feb. 22nd passages and the Psalm selection struck me like never before.

Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered - how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. my entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.

We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it. And so Lord, where do I put my hope? My hope is only in you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I haven't had time to check out your blog lately, but I decided to tonight. I just had to laugh, because I am trying to read through the bible this year again. This is my third time in the last 6 or 7 years, and I'm just getting through the last of the first five books. I just had to power through. I get up to a week behind and it is so hard to catch up. I am officially 4 days behind right now, so I just had to smile. I like to go through chronologically, so I feel like I am reading a story that is unfolding; otherwise it is hard for me. So we can spur each other on to not give up, right? We'll make sure we both make it through June!!

Love ya, Suzi

Rebecca said...

I am SOOOOO glad that I am not the only one who does that. I will love being held accountable and I will try to do the same.

Love ya back, Rebecca

Anonymous said...

I have used that scripture many times for a grave-side and commital service. Now that I have entered the last segment of my life, 60??????, it is more important than ever.

Blessings,
Hawkeye Gold