Friday, July 07, 2006

Womanly Guidance

Why is it that other people seem to think that they know what my baby is thinking or needing? My 5 month old was fussing and couple of older grandmotherly ladies tried to tell me it was one thing. I was tired at the time and I was trying to keep up good appearances, but it really annoyed me. I hardly knew these ladies. I know that they had good intentions, but this is my third child for heaven's sake.

After having said that, I also know the impotance of having experienced women in your life to help give guidance as I raise my kids. I just would appreciate that they would have a relationship with me before they stick an oar in.

In the Bible, it talks about the older women guiding the younger women. I don't think that enough older women are doing that. I want to encourage older women to get involved in younger women's lives - especially if they have young children. Get to know them and in loving example help them in their walk. I know being so far from home, my mother doesn't have the chance to help as much as she could. I was ill after having my last child. Looking back, I wished that I had someone to come and give me spiritual wisdom and motherly wisdom. It was hard to be a mother while I was suppose to be resting. I was taken care of tremendously by the ladies of my church and my husband, but I guess I needed a little more and just recently figured out what it was. It is my hope that I will let God use me in such a way to minister to other ladies. Isn't that just the way God is, using your circumstances to help you become a better person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

I know how you feel. There have been times after I've had my kids that I just wanted a "mother" there. Sometimes my mom was there, but when I would vent a fustration or a worry, she would say things like, "I never felt that way" What I really needed her to say was "I know how you feel, I went through that too." But instead she made me feel like there was something wrong with the way I was feeling.

I agree that mothers need to have an experienced (preferably a christian) mother whom they can turn to. There are so many bumps in the road of motherhood. It is nice to have a bond with another woman to help you through it.