Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sleeping

I can't wait until I can sleep like I use to sleep. You know that kind of sleep that is selfish. That kind of sleep that is all about you. As soon as your head hits the pillow you are asleep and you sleep all night through. Not only that, you can snuggle into your warm covers and enjoy the softness of your bed.

The only reason why I am thinking about those wonderful memories is that I have been suffering with a cold off and on for the last month. I thought that I was better and then a week later I have another cold. It is when I am sick that I want to be comforted and do comforting things like sleeping and taking a hot steamy shower. Well - I am finding out that as a mother of 3 beautiful children that is almost impossible. There were days that I was so miserable that it was a stay-home- from- work kind of miserable and yet I can't because my work is at home and these sweet little munchkins really don't care about the way I am feeling. Especially since they have been suffering from this cold as well, especially the baby. That means that he is needing extra attention.

My husband does help as best as he can, but he has been extra busy this time of year. In fact he was gone all weekend on a retreat with junior highers. I should have been with him on this retreat - which would have been better - having a cold or chaperoning junior highers?

Ephesians 5:14 says, "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."

It is important to get your rest and sleep and it is important to have time for yourself. But as I was feeling sorry for myself this verse popped into my head. (This verse isn't really talking about resting sleep, but about waking up from the way some people were living.) In today's culture, a lot is put on selfish needs and wants. I need these kind of clothes, I need to have my nails done, I need these kind of products for my hair, I need to take a 45 minute shower, I need an hour to get ready, I need my sleep otherwise I am grouchy, I need to have Starbucks everyday, etc. These things have not made us better people. These things make us grouchy when we don't get what we want when we want it. Being a youth sponsor, I see kids that are raised that way. What kind of adult "Christians" are they going to be?

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ." Ephesians 5:15-21

Someday I may get that much wanted sleep and when I do I will appreciate it, but until then I choose to be thankful for what I do have and the luxuries that I do enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca-You are an amazing woman. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

By the kids are old enough for you to get a good night of sleep you will be old enough so that you can't. Life is hard.

Husker Red