Saturday, May 26, 2007

Garage Sale

Today I had a garage sale. I don't want to be a person who keeps too much stuff. I want to use what I have been given and then let someone else use it. But many of the things I sold on today's garage sale are treasures. Little shirts and shorts and shoes that my babies wore. Toys that my babies played with. Memories that I can't get back because like it or not my babies aren't so much babies anymore. And I could be wrong, but I think that many of the people today will not treasure my things like I did.

I remember when we were getting ready to move to California from Iowa. In Iowa I had collected many things and I had plenty of room to store them. Knowing that we were going to move to a small apartment in California, we had a garage sale. We sold a lot, but many of my treasures, didn't sell. It was hard for me to put some of those things up for sale, but I thought that if someone else could use them, I could be all right with that. It got hectic right before we moved and the garage sale items that didn't sell were going to be taken to the Salvation Army by a friend. Two days before the big day I found all my treasures in the dumpster. My first reaction? To jump in that dumpster and pull them all out. Before I could do that, I had to stop and pray. I knew in my head that all those things were God's things. I did my best to take care of them, but I had to let them go. I didn't have time to deal with them, there was still so much to do.

I would probably be ecstatic right now if we would have sold most of it, or I would have made a huge amount of money. But neither happened. So I am disappointed in the outcome and now I have to figure out what to do with the stack sitting in my garage. I thought more of the baby clothes would go. I had a bunch still practically new. I guess since they are not name brand - or maybe it is easier and nicer just to buy new baby clothes. Now I need to figure out which charity to give them to, but sometimes they are picky with what they will take as well. Won't that be just awful if I have to put my own stuff in the dumpster? Lets hope that it doesn't come to that.

After doing this capital campaign at church, I have been really moved to take care of what we do have and not to have so much. Isn't it easy to just accumulate more and more? My husband and I are coming up with ways that we can do that. I will talk more about that later.
I am going to leave with one last thought - isn't it sad that no matter what you have, it will all end up in the garbage someday? I am so glad that our Heavenly Father gives us the choice. Am I going to be trash or treasure? Jesus is the ONLY way to being treasure.

No comments: