Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mother's Day

I just had a nice Mother's Day. It isn't like it was spectacular, but I don't think that I ever have had a spectacular one. I still remember the Mother's Day when I was pregnant with our first child. One of the girls in the youth group asked my husband what he did for me and he said that I wasn't a mother yet. He said it to get a rise out of the girls - which he did. His problem is that he doesn't like having to do these days. He likes to make me feel special on the days he designates - he doesn't like to be "cut out of the cookie cutter". Besides, I think that he just plain forgets, and he makes some jerky response to cover for it. Then I think that the Mother's Days after I had children also were forgotten, although again, I think he said something to the effect that I wasn't his mother. Not that being the mother of his children wasn't enough, and sometimes I do feel like his mother. Washing his clothes, folding his clothes, putting his clothes away, fixing him meals, serving his meals, washing his dishes, picking up his shoes, etc. Not that I don't want to do those things, I just think that he doesn't realize the time and effort it takes for all those things to get done for him, me and 3 little ones. Like for instance, the times that it takes over an hour to make supper. I get the table set, dish it up on plates, and call everyone to come to the table. Then the kids don't like it. The baby can't sit still and is a mess. The 2 year old is playing with his utensils like they are trains. The 4 year old can't believe that I put onions in it and the husband is in his own little world - perhaps watching Sports Center or Fox News.

Well, I could go on, and I am ranting, so I will stop. I just wanted to say that my very fun, loving, wonderful-in-so-many-ways husband probably doesn't have a clue and he covers by making some jerky comment. I don't expect a lot for Mother's Day or any other day for that matter. I know that we don't have a ton of money, I just would liked to be recognized by the family. (By the way, I have some friends that send me cards and I love them. Girl friends are the best aren't they?) Besides, my own father fell short of recognizing my mother on certain important days as we were growing up. I do remember him making an effort as I got older.

So back to this past Mother's Day. My husband made lunch and supper that day. He spent a good part of Saturday figuring out what he was to make, going grocery shopping, preparing the marinades for it, and finally taking the time to fix it all on Sunday. I really had to do very little. Then afterwards he cleaned up the kitchen. I appreciated what he did and it all was very delicious. For lunch, he grilled Red Snapper, deep fat fried popcorn shrimp, and baked potatoes. For supper, he grilled a t-bone steak, steak kabobs with pineapple and strawberries, and had a twice-baked potato dish. For dessert, he had Strawberry Shortcake. It was really delicious. I hope that this will be a trend with Mother's Day. It beat going out and waiting in line at a restaurant. I hope you all had a nice time on Mother's Day, whether you are a mother or not, it is always fun celebrating people you love who are mothers or who mother you. By the way, I forgot to send my mother and mother-in-law a card - I guess a phone call and an e-card will have to do this year. But Helen and Pat - you both are great mothers and we are blessed to have you. We love you!

No comments: