Wednesday, May 30, 2007


Chicks

My husband had to fly back to Nebraska for a funeral. Right before he left, he said, "Rebecca, sometime next week, we are getting some baby chicks." What!? Well, he had this great idea to get some chicks, ducklings, and baby turkeys for our VBS. He got me somewhat set up with everything that I needed before he left. So Monday morning - Memorial Day - they came into our Post Office. I guess they hatched the day before - Sunday and they came from Webster City, Iowa. I am flabergasted how they got mailed to our house on a Sunday and then got to our P.O. on a holiday. But they did.
Now I have about 24 baby chicks in my garage. I am not for sure when the turkeys or ducks are coming. Sadly, one chick didn't live through the shipment, another died that day, and one more is clinging to life after being crushed with the watering can. I am not for sure how it happened, but it did and I feel terrible.
My kids love picking them up and holding them. Daughter never wants to leave them. Son #1 loves them and calls them his best friend. He named one yesterday - Joey. Son #2 just grabs them by whatever - a wing - a head - a foot- and he squeals.
The question that has yet to be answered by my husband - what are we going to be doing with these chicks when VBS is over in a few weeks? I will let you know how that one goes. So long for now from Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

No comments: