Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Fairy Tale- or is it?

At bedtime last night, I read the story "The Emperor's New Clothes" to my kids. You probably know the story. Two thieves convince an emperor that they can make clothes out of such fine cloth that only those who are wise and worthy can see the clothes and those who cannot see them are fools. After the clothes were made, the king had a royal procession through the town to show off his new clothes. Everyone was afraid to say that they couldn't see the clothes at the risk of being called a fool. The only one brave enough to say that the emperor had no clothes on was a child. The story took a long time to get through because my 5 year old daughter kept asking why the people didn't catch on that the thieves were lying to them. I kept explaining to her that they were afraid. My daughter couldn't grasp the thought.

On this Super Tuesday, I know there are some trying to feed us a line and we, Americans, are taking it because we don't want to seem foolish. Are these politicians really trying to make America greater or are they just trying to get a vote. Even so, are they also afraid of being called foolish and are they backing an agenda whether they believe in it or not? The election has been on my heart and mind and in my prayers. What should I do? Who should I vote for? For some it is clear, for many others it is not.

It is not clear to me what the best answer is to Iraq, to illegal aliens, to health-care, and a host of other issues. What is clear to me is the one line that the American public is being fed and eating up. The issue that women have the right to choose an abortion and that a fetus is not a living being, therefore it is okay to dispose of it. How foolish is that? In our own vanity, we have fallen into a pit of everyone telling each other that it is okay. When are we going to stop the foolishness?

No comments: