Friday, February 22, 2008

My Birthday Present to Myself

One of my favorite books is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Sunday night I caught part of the 1996 movie on Masterpiece Theater and it got me all excited about reading it - Again! But alas, I had gotten rid of my copy because it was so worn out. (I got it from a Scholastic book order when I was in Middle School) Monday night, my husband and I were out with friends celebrating his birthday and we stopped into Barnes and Noble. There on a display table was Pride and Prejudice and other Jane Austen books. (It was meant to be!)I have not read any of the other books although I do have a desire to. How could I not buy this book? As soon as we got home and after getting the kids to bed, I started reading it. As the kids played the next day I read it. As the children slept, I read it. I finally finished it Thursday, but about 3:30 am Friday morning, I was wakened by one of the children and after she was back asleep, I couldn't sleep. So I got up and read my favorite parts all over again. Of course after I finished doing that I had to put my own copy of the latest movie in and watch it. What a beautiful story! Good thing that Friday is my husband's day off. Of course, now I have pile of laundry that needs to be done and other tasks that have been put off - but what a pleasure! My husband does not understand my need of this type of pleasure, but I am glad that he puts up with it - probably because it doesn't happen that often.


4 comments:

Tom said...

Rebecca, it's your Jane Austen-loving sister-in-law here, and I should have told you I have a book (that I bought at Barnes and Noble) with all of her books in it. It weighs about 50 lbs., but it's nice to get them all for $12.95, plus it's a good weight-lifting tool for a workout, and a way to test if your eyes need reading glasses (because of the tiny print). It's great! I have read them all, and I think you would enjoy them. I have the movie Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, so I have to watch them before, during, and after re-reading the things. So I understand the whole 3:30 a.m. business.

With love, Suzi

Tom said...

Oh yeah, and P.S. I am about to pop in the DVD "Becoming Jane," to watch once again. I also watched "The Jane Austen Club" movie a couple weeks ago. Can you tell I am a fan?

Suzi

Rebecca said...

Suzi - I had no idea that you loved Jane Austin. I haven't watched either of those latest movies, although I would like to. Sometime, when we are together - maybe we can do a movie weekend. I have been longing to know someone else who loves Pride and Prejudice and here you were under my nose. NOW I have to read those other books, so I can discuss it with you.

Love ya - Rebecca

Unknown said...

Isn't that funny that all along we love some of the same things and didn't even know it? Yes, we will have to have an Austen-fest time where we can watch movies. There is one called "Persuasion" (after the book) that was a lesser known English film that I've watched. Not too bad either. Yes, I have other Austen-ish stuff like the Pride and Prejudice piano music from the movie (beautiful music!). Three of my older piano student girls got me hooked on that. So, yes, next time we see each other, I will bring my movies and rent Persuasion and we'll send the guys off with the kids and we can stay in our pajamas all day long as we watch and cry over the movies! Doesn't that sound like fun?