Sunday, February 17, 2008

February 17th Communion Devotion

Every once in awhile the pastor asks me to do the communion devotion in church. To tell you the truth I sort of feel uncomfortable doing it. Can you believe that came from the girl who took Expository Preaching in College and gave a Senior Sermon - memorized? I do love to talk and express my thoughts, so I continue accepting the opportunity to do the devotion. So I posted it for you.

Have you ever been reminded of a memory that you had forgotten about? Maybe a parent, a sibling, a cousin, or a friend asked you if you remembered when you did something and you had completely forgotten the incident. Have you just sat there in wonder, how could you have forgotten that?

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in the rocking chair singing to my youngest right before bedtime. I have a list of songs that I always sing - Away in the Manger, Silent Night, Jesus is the Sweetest Name I Know, His Name is Wonderful, I Love you Lord, Seek ye First, and for whatever reason that night I added Jesus Loves Me.

You probably know the song. Jesus loves me this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong. They are weak but He is strong. Yes Jesus loves me. Yes Jesus loves me. Yes Jesus loves me. For the Bible tells me so.

How many times have I sang this song in my life? Millions. How long have I known that the truths in this children’s song were true? Ever since I can remember. Yet that night when I was singing that song to my youngest, I started to cry. I had forgot. My head hadn’t forgotten – I think my soul had forgotten that Jesus loves Rebecca Evans.

Maybe you have forgotten that Jesus loves you. Maybe you think too much about others and their needs that you have slipped in your personal relationship with Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Communion time is a personal time. A time to think on what Christ did for us. Many times, though, after a few seconds in consideration of Christ’s sacrifice, we slip and we think about the people around us or we think about what we are going to do for lunch or something else. Communion time is a discipline.

Today, as you take the juice, remembering that it represents Jesus’ blood that was spilled, and as you take the bread, remembering that it represents Jesus’ body that was broken. Remember John 3:16, 17

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son. That whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.

Do not forget that.

Lets pray, “Father in heaven, I am sorry that I take you and your love for granted. Thank you for the reminder. Help us to discipline our daily lives so that we take time for You. During this communion time help us remember your Son’s sacrifice and Your love.
In Jesus Name
Amen”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As so often is the case, Rebecca, your thoughts brought tears to my eyes. I love you--Mom

Rebecca said...

Thanks Momma!