Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekly Bible Reading Update

I am still caught up on my reading, but I wanted to share my Proverbs reading from April 25th.

Proverbs 14:3-4 A fool's proud talk becomes a rod that beats him, but the words of the wise keeps him safe. Without oxen a stable stays clean, but you need a strong ox for a large harvest.

I kept reading that portion of scripture over and over and I think it is very clever. How could I change the last part of the passage to fit my life - "Without children......." You finish it.

Thanks Suzi for keeping me accountable to reading the One Year Bible. It is weird, but this helps me out. Now how can you help me to start exercising/running? I need some accountability there. AND Suzi - thank you so much for the box of books. I was able to read all day Saturday, since Kirk was gone to the Men's Retreat. Not really all day, but all the spare and some not-so-spare moments. I think I was reading while the children were in the tub. I have really been enjoying "A Proper Pursuit" by Lynn Austin.

An update on my cake dilemma. I did make a cake from a box and frosting from the can, but I added by own touches and it tasted delicious and looked pretty good if I must say so myself. No one knew that it wasn't home-made and I am not telling.


5 comments:

Tom said...

You're welcome, Rebecca! Of course now I am behind, but just by a day or two. I'm in the Psalms, so they seem to be easy to make up unless I really want to focus on one. The chronological bible is set up different, but it works really well for me. I like a linear story the best! You're also welcome for the books. I'm glad you are getting to "get away" from your cake dilemma woes and read something romantic! Thanks also for the clothes. And grandma Helen got her apron, so everyone was happy.

Hey, I can't help you out with the hair thing-- my daughter has not yet discovered that pursuit. She's still somewhat tomboy, so I hope to put it off a while longer. I'll tell you who constantly has hair in her face; me! I finally have my bangs to my chin and am thankful they are long enough now to tuck behind my ears. With my enjoyment of my newly-found curly hair I never knew I had, I kind of wear it in this messy/curly style that Tommy loves. I think it makes him feel young. Plus, a college student that works with the campus ministry/our church told me she thought I was around 27. I told her that was just about the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me (how vain!). Of course, at first I had to make sure she wasn't joking.

I hope you have a lovely day, Rebecca. Oh and tell me what you did with the box cake thing. You know how I love to bake (not). I think if someone said I had to bring a 2 layer cake, I would just have to politely refuse. How sad!

Love, Suzi

Rebecca said...

I thought the nicest thing that anyone has ever told you was that you looked like me. MMM Just kidding and maybe it was that I looked like you?

Because I had tried a couple other cakes, I took tricks from them. I decided to do a German Chocolate Cake (I have made a boxed 2-layer one before and Kirk loves German Chocolate). Then I added shaved Baker's Squares Semi-sweet chocolate to the batter. For the frosting, I spread the coconut frosting on and then drizzled it with a chocolate ganache (don't you love that word?) The cake was moist and it looked good - so I couldn't have asked for it better. There was a chocolate cake there that was home-made and it was so good. I have requested the recipe.

Unknown said...

Yes, ganache is a fun word, but I have no idea what it is. And do you just buy coconut frosting or do you get a white or cream cheese and add your own? You'll have to pass on the homemade chocolate cake one when you get a hold of it. I do LOVE chocolate.

And, yes, I do remember that we were told we look like sisters, but I can't remember who resembled whom first! So I guess we are both duly complimented. Hey - does that mean you look like 24 yrs old if I look like I'm 27? I can kind of see it in the mirror in my bathroom. It has nice dim lighting and I squint my eyes just so, and sure enough --I look 27! Ha Ha

Rebecca said...

You crack me up.

That frosting is called coconut frosting and it comes that way - it is a brown color and it is the traditional frosting to put on German Chocolate cakes. I wouldn't know all this, except that Kirk really likes that kind and it is pretty yummy. I will post the recipe of the other cake when I get it.

Unknown said...

Oh, yes, yes -- I know that frosting. I alway get it when I buy german chocolate cake. I don't know why I had something else in mind. Oops - Tom is back in the room and he needs his laptop, so I'll give it back. I'll be waiting for the recipe! Love ya!