Monday, October 06, 2008

Weekly Bible Reading Update

I am in October. I finished October 1st this morning. Whew. We started up our Thursday evening Bible Study. I also had a meeting last Monday evening. So the only 2 evenings that were somewhat free were Friday and Saturday. I know others are equally or even more busy than I am, but when you are not used to the busyness, it can wipe you out. I feel so behind and I am exhausted. Plus, we had a rained out flea market on Saturday that we still set up for and got soaked, and a birthday party in the afternoon. Wow!

I have been reading a lot of scripture lately, and it all starts to run together. I will read something that I want to share and then I will forget about it when I find something new.

Today, I am going to share with you a verse that I try to live by, but at times I struggle in doing it until I am reminded about the verse again. The background story to this verse is about my mother. She use to be (and still is) a dorm mother at Nebowa Christian Church Camp. The first night at camp she would have a meeting with all the girls. She would talk to them about the week, but she would say that she only had one rule for them to abide by. Philippians 2:3&4. I read it in the September 30th reading.

"Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble thinking of others better than yourselves. Don't look out for only your own interests, but take an interest in others, too." NLT

The translation is different, but the thought is, if you think of others before you think of yourselves, you will keep your stuff picked up and neat, you will flush the toilet, you will be quiet when lights are out, you will be kind and watch what you say to others, etc.

This week, try to remember that verse as you are dealing with people. At work, in the grocery store line, in Walmart, on the road as you are driving, and yes, even when you go to church, think of others better as yourself. (NIV)

God bless you this week!

No comments: