Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Praying God's Word and the New Year!

I was able to share my testimony on Saturday with the women at church. Maybe I will post it someday, but it was all handwritten because our computer wasn't up and and running until the weekend. Who knows when or if I will type it up. I did share how much reading through the Bible last year changed my life and that I would be reading a new book at the start of this year called, "Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds Praying God's Word" by Beth Moore. I didn't realize that part of the title said "Breaking Free from Spiritual Strongholds" I was just interested in the idea of praying scripture. That being said, I think that this book will give me a lot to think about. I hope that if you read this book as well, that you will share with me what you are reading and discovering as you pray with scripture.

I have already read the introduction and chapter 1, "Overcoming Idolatry." In the introduction, Beth discusses how in Ephesians 6:10-18, where Paul is talking about the armor of God, the only weapon described is the Word of God. I love what it says in Hebrews 4:12 about the word of God, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Scripture is God's word. Then Beth goes on to say that Ephesians 6:18 says to, "Pray in the Spirit on all occasions..." Thus she links the Word of God and praying.

I don't want praying scripture to have the illusion that it is more spiritual or give it a feeling like it is a magical spell. Just because you recite scripture doesn't mean it will happen, but I want to do this in order to make praying more reverent and more creative. I think that you will see what I mean as I continue through the book.

I am not for sure how to do each chapter, but for the moment I am going to pick one of the sample prayers listed in the book for that chapter that means the most to me.

"My Lord, where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in the depths, You are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there Your hand will guide me, Your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:7-10)

God bless you this week!



2 comments:

Karen said...

Rebecca, I always love it when you show up on my Google Reader! You are such a blessing. Thanks for taking the time to share with others. So sad we missed you when you were in Iowa!!!! Guess we'll just have to come to California!

Rebecca said...

Thanks Karen! I am sorry that we missed seeing you too. We would love it if you came to CA!