Thursday, January 29, 2009

Praying God's Word - Overcoming Pride

As I have mentioned before, I didn't buy this book because of the stumbling blocks issue, I bought it because it was about praying God's Word. This last chapter on overcoming pride was a heart pricker. I am actually going to quote a paragraph from the book.

"In some ways, Christians have to be more alert to pride than anyone. If we don't presently have an issue that is actively humbling us, we veer with disturbing velocity toward arrogance and self righteousness. We are wise to remember that Christ never resisted the repentant sinner. He resisted the religious proud and the Pharisaic. Remember, pride wears many masks. I once spoke on pride only to have someone to remark afterward that she had far too little self esteem to have pride. Pride is not the opposite of low self-esteem. Pride is the opposite of humility. We can have a serious pride problem that masquerades as low self-esteem. Pride is self-absorption whether we're absorbed with how miserable we are or how wonderful we are. We are wise to be on the constant lookout for pride in our lives. I believe we can safely say that if we're not deliberately taking measures to combat pride, it's probably doing something to combat humility." - Beth Moore

That can be me at times.

Father, You have told me to do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit but in humility consider others better than myself. ( Phil. 2:3) Right this moment I confess my selfish ambition and vain conceit to you. Forgive me for so often considering myself better than others. Help me to look not only to my own interests but also to the interests of others. Please help me have an attitude the same as that of Christ Jesus. (Phil 2:4-5)

Have a blessed week!

2 comments:

Christine said...

This is so true and something to be mindful of for sure! Thank you for sharing.

Rebecca said...

Beth Moore's book, Praying God's Word has given me much to think about.