Tuesday, May 27, 2008

More Blessings

Two years ago, after having my youngest child, I got really sick. I was laid up for about 4 months. My husband, in a burst of sweetness and help from his mother, planted beautiful flowers all around the pool. I could just lay on the couch and look at the flowers. I enjoyed that very much. Well, one of the pots didn't get planted - a lily. By the time I got around to it, the lily had died. I was in the process of taking the dead plant to the garbage when I remembered the lilies that I had in Iowa. They are bulbs, even when their blooms are gone the bulbs stay in the ground and reproduce. Each year I always had more lilies. I decided to plant this dead looking flower anyway. I am so glad that I did, 2 years later look at the beauty that I get to enjoy when I look out my back window.

Every time I see those flowers, I think of 2 things. One, how close I came to throwing them away. I am so glad that our Heavenly Father doesn't do that with us. No matter how messed up we look on the outside, He knows our heart and He won't throw us away, as long as we live. Now when when we die and meet Him face to face and if we don't have Jesus as our Savior because we didn't believe in Him, than we are in trouble. Two, Matthew 6:28-34 says, 28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Some other blessings that I have to mention are that it has been rainy and cool here. We needed the rain. AND our friends, Kim and Lance Marshall came up and visited for Memorial Day. It is nice to have special friends to spend holidays with. I hope that you have a great week and are enjoying your blessings too.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Rebecca -
I've so enjoyed reading your blog for several weeks now. I really appreciate your life applications and always tying it together with a scripture. When I read your post today the thought that came to mind was 'Beauty from Ashes'. I listen to the Bible on CD during my daily drive to and from work and this passage was part of my listen today. It speaks close to my heart so I backed it up and listened again.
Thank you for sharing your heart.

Rebecca said...

Jen,
Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it. I think that it is a great idea to listen to Bible on CD. I will have to remember that when I go back to work. God Bless you!