Tuesday, May 20, 2008


Thorn In My Heart

My Sister-in-Law, Suzi, sent me some books to read. Three of them are a series by Liz Curtis Higgs. Thorn In My Heart, Fair is the Rose, and Whence Came a Prince is a story from 1789 Scotland. It is a story that parallels the story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel from the Old Testament. I have to tell you the truth, I didn't know if I was going to like this story, because I don't like the Biblical story. I have put myself in Rachel and Leah's shoes and it makes me heart-sick. It took me awhile to get started with this story, but I have to tell you, that it is an amazingly written story. It is a story about weakness, sin, humility, and love. Of course it doesn't mirror the Biblical story, it is cleverly written to tie the two stories together. It gives you a new perspective in reading the Biblical account. I do recommend reading this series. Thank you Suzi!

One funny thing that I found while reading these books was that I started talking like they did - dearie, bairn, lad, lassie, etc. I think that it is because I have roots that are Scottish. I hope that you are as blessed as I was after reading these books!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I have been so busy in May I barely get to check e-mail or blogs, but Tom told me about the books on here. I need to send you the last book in this series! I didn't realize you were done. It has to do with their children! I'll drop it in the mail soon. I knew you would like these! At first I bought the first one then groaned because I don't often like fictional books that use a biblical story in a different time period. I've always seen it as stealing a good story line and passing it off as your own. I actually told Tom I hated books like that and wished I had realized it. But, like a movie, I have to see it through to the end anyway. Well, I loved them and had to order the rest.

What is so funny is I started thinking and saying scottish words as well. I would be reading along and say them out loud, hoping no one heard. Plus I was constantly flipping back to the glossary. Aren't we weird?

Here are two other books I really liked about Scotland (a lot of history in it). I don't own them, I got them from a library. The titles are "Legend of the Celtic Stone" and "An Ancient Strife" by Michael Phillips. All of those learned words will help you in this. These spurred on my obsession with Scotland, so I checked out books on the place with maps and everything. I am such a nerd! But at least I know you are too (ha ha)!

Love, Suzi

Rebecca said...

Suzi- you don't have to send me the book - just bring it out when you come. I have a little problem with self-control when it comes to books. I have stuff that needs my attention around here and I don't need the temptation of a book. (I have a very large group of people coming to stay at my house and I need to prepare and we have VBS coming soon as well.) I will be very excited to get my hands on it though. I do laugh at myself and how much I get into a story.

Unknown said...

You are so right about self-control, which I have very little of when it comes to shoes and books. The shoes I control because of lack of money in the budget for that, but the books I have are often free from the library and I read and read and read. So guess who is behind in her bible reading now? And it can't be from lack of time!!