Friday, September 05, 2008

Sleeping

I have had issues with getting all 3 of my children to sleep in their own bed at least once in each of their lives. I developed strategies for the first 2 and after a time of planning, executing, following through and being consistent, I had those 2 sleeping in their beds. I can say now that they are good sleepers. In fact my middle child is pretty great at sleeping. Thank goodness. I thought that I could probably write a book about sleeping.

With all 3 children, when they were first born, I brought them to my own bed and they stayed with me. About 9-10 months into this situation, my husband would have had about enough of the situation and start complaining about it. I started weaning the baby, around 1 year, although it got a few months later with each baby. At that time I would start working on the technique to get the child to sleep in his/her crib.

Enter my youngest. He has been something. I will struggle with my method and it will take months and suddenly he will sleep in his own bed. Just when I start patting myself on the back for a job well-done, he starts his problems all over again. Ever since my family was here visitingthis summer, my youngest has been giving me problems about sleeping. Some days I just want to scream. As I was sitting at the door, waiting for him to go to sleep (that is how the Super-Nanny does it), I was watching him mess around, willing me to look at him - he was acting out. He reminded me of a little monkey. (I am sure some of are saying just spank the child. Oh believe me I have.) So as I was sitting there seeing all of this in my peripheral vision, trying not to laugh and trying not to go crazy mad, I wondered, "Is it child abuse if I duct taped him to the bed?"

Don't worry I didn't. But I did think it. Now he is sleeping peacefully in his bed. He will wake up soon in about an hour and I will just pull him into bed with me because I don't want to go through it again. What am I going to do? Just when you think you have the answers, you get smacked up against the head to be reminded that you don't.

I didn't forget my Weekly Bible Reading, but I will explain that the next time. Happy Sleeping everyone!

No comments: