Saturday, August 30, 2008

An Exciting Election

I cannot tell you how excited I am that Sarah Palin is John McCain's running-mate. This will be such an historic election, either we will have a African-American man as President or we will have a woman as Vice-President. As I was listening to Gov. Palin's speech yesterday, I started to get teary-eyed. I am not for sure why exactly, but I think that she made me hopeful about the future. I am not trusting of politicians these days, but she gave me the hope that I could trust her. I also must interject a thought here, my feeling about politicians has nothing to do with the current administration - I am not a Bush Hater. I have not always agreed with the way that Bush has handled certain situations, but I am glad he was in office instead of those "other guys." He is human, therefor and not perfect. I am not an Obama supporter. I can understand why people are mesmerized by him, but I don't believe in his changes. When he speaks I just hear empty promises.

As I was driving yesterday, my husband left the radio turned to his station. I am not for sure what the station number was, but it runs conservative talk shows. When I started driving, the program was Michael Savage's. He was on and being very negative about Palin being McCain's choice. He extremely irritated me. He was making fun of her being a hockey-mom and some of the other things that she did before she became Governor of Alaska. He is not the only one who is critical, but I guess that is their job. I will not be swayed by their criticisms. I do not care if she is a "no-name," are we back in highschool again? I like that she wasn't known, and wasn't considered by political analyists as McCain's VP choice. I like that she knows about being a "hockey mom" - that shows her realness. Many of today's politicians don't have that realness about them, they have lived in a glass fish bowl way too long.

I believe that God uses the weak and makes them strong. I believe that God uses the "no-names" to do mighty things. I like what Palin stands for and I am excited that she is John McCain's running-mate.

9 comments:

Kris said...

i would not consider myself a feminist, but i cried too. it is so good to see a strong, educated mother for life.

kw

Rebecca said...

Thanks for your comment Kris. I enjoyed reading your post on your blog too. It is interesting what real people are saying on Palin, not just commentators.

Anonymous said...

Her speech was full of inaccuracies and blatent lies. Just what we need is four more years of Republican rule

Rebecca said...

Anonymous, please give me some examples. I am interested.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/us/politics/11pipeline.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This is just the start of her "exaggerations"

sally said...

Anonymous,

One article in the NY Times (of all papers) is not at all convincing. Hopefully you're reading other major dailies, and not relying solely on the "facts" printed in the Times to inform you about the candidates and their positions.

Paul Steele said...

Anonymous,

What a shock, a politician lied! That is news. Come on, if that is the best you have it is really weak. Palin was being optimistic about something she had accomplished, the fact that the pipeline may not be built has more to do with federal red tape than her failing to keep a promise.

Do you hold you candidate to the same level of honesty that you are holding McCain/Palin?

Jolene said...

Hi Rebecca,

You can check your facts on these sites.
http://www.factcheck.org/
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/
http://www.snopes.com/

FactCheck.org is at least non partisan so you won't see bias, just the facts.

Take care,
Jolene

Rebecca said...

Thanks for all your comments. I truly appreciate it. Jolene, I will check out those sites.