Tuesday, August 19, 2008


First Day of School

A week ago this past Monday, my oldest started school - the first grade. (I keep wanting to say Kindergarten.) She was a little apprehensive, but it was so much better than last year. Last year I had to leave her with tears in her eyes.
We went early. They don't say the Pledge of Allegiance in the classroom. It is optional. If you want your students to do it they need to be there 15 minutes early and the whole school gathers around the flagpole to say the Pledge.
At this school, they are to wear uniforms, but they promote college. Therefore it is okay to wear a college t-shirt, as you can see in the picture. Each class has a college name. Our daughter's class' name is the Berkeley Bears.
Why couldn't she have stayed in the Kindergarten forever? She is growing up so fast. Tonight she got so upset with me. I couldn't find her after looking all over the house. I open up the front door and there she is holding a small bag with a few toys inside. She was going to run away. I asked where would she go and she said down the street. I asked her where would she sleep and she said she would come back and sleep on the grass. I was about that age when I was going to run away, but my goodness, was it really so bad? I told her I loved her and that she shouldn't run away because I would miss her. I think she is better now, but maybe she needs a call from her Grandma and Grandpa. That might help.

No comments: