Sunday, December 07, 2008

Weekly Bible Reading

I am posting a day early, but I have a busy week and I wanted to get this done.I am still caught up on my reading, but I am highlighting December 5th's reading in Hosea.

Hosea 1:2 NLT "When the Lord first began speaking to Israel through Hosea, he said to him, “Go and marry a prostitute,[b] so that some of her children will be conceived in prostitution. This will illustrate how Israel has acted like a prostitute by turning against the Lord and worshiping other gods.

The story of Hosea always speaks to me. Paralleling God's relationship with Israel to having a relationship with a prostitute is a very vivid picture to me. The end of the story is even more inspiring - that Hosea brings his wife back to love just how God brings Israel back to Himself to love. AND the real story is that He is that way with us. He wants to redeem us from our sin. That reminds me of my favorite book called Redeeming Love, written by Francine Rivers. It might seem like a book just for females, but I encourage men to read it as well. It is a powerful story, written with the story of Hosea in mind - read it, I know you will love it.

No comments: