Sunday, August 05, 2007

The Last Few Days

After the anniversary party in Kansas, my family traveled to Omaha for a few days together before the kids and I flew out. We had the pleasure of meeting my brother Paul's girlfriend, Alyssa.

On Tuesday we went to the zoo. The highlight for Daughter were the flamingos, penguins, polar bears, the "zebra cow", and the Dinosaur movie in the IMAX theatre. Son #1's highlight was the train. The train letting off steam left quite an impression on him. The picture on the left is at one of the waterfalls in The Jungle. The last time we were there, 5 years ago, Kirk, our daughter and I took a picture right there too. Later on Tuesday, Suzi, Tom, and me went out to eat with some college friends, Tim and Betsy Green, while everyone else stayed at the hotel and had McDonald's. Betsy and I had our second to last kids on the same day, and then we had our last children a couple weeks apart. Tim is one of Kirk's good friends and was a groomsmen in our wedding.

On Wednesday, we traveled to Nebraska Christian College, located in Papillion, NE. My whole family attended Nebraska Christian College, but that was when it was located in Norfolk, NE. The college felt like they would have more opportunities for the students if they were closer to Omaha.So in the last year they made the big move. The campus looks good. I wish them the best. I haven't always supported them moving, but now that they have I hope that they just keep moving forward. If I were to ever win millions of dollars, that would be one organization that I would give some of my money to.

Well, after lunching at Red Robin, we shopped at Borders, the book store until it was time to leave for the airport. After checking in, my mom was allowed to come up with us as we waited. Which was a good thing. We had to wait for awhile because the plane was late. It is always bittersweet saying goodbye to my parents, I never know for sure when I will see them again. After we started down the ramp, my struggles began. I couldn't get my big ' rickety stroller to close. Then the whole trip, Son #2 struggled with me to stay on my lap. We spilled the drink the stewardess was trying to hand us. Right towards the end of the very long flight to the Phoenix Airport, Daughter had to go potty. I told Son #1 to stay in his seat, that we would be right back, but we had to come right back because the bathroom was occupied. After it was free, we tried again. The stewardess wouldn't let me stand outside of the door, I had to go in. Just as we were closing the door, Son #1 came running up, so I pulled him inside as well. We were squished in there. The whole time I was saying, "Son #1, no" "Son #2, no." As we were leaving the restroom area, the stewardess says, "You should get the Mother of the Year award." I had no time to respond, because my children were headed down the aisle and I didn't want them to miss our seats. Just when were landing, Son #2 finally fell asleep. It just happened to be the wrong time, because as we got into the Phoenix airport, Son #1 started throwing a fit and I couldn't figure out what gate my plane was suppose to fly out of. The monitor was wrong, so I had to rudely interrupt someone to ask because I was starting to panic. I actually had plenty of time and the gate was close. After a potty break, we got back into line, just in time for Son #1 to throw another fit. I did talk him out of it and we got on the plane with no problems and I had Daughter and Son #1 asleep before we left the runway. Son #2 took a little more time, but was also asleep. What a glorious last hour and a half flight it was. I would like to say all was well when we landed in Sacramento, but it wasn't. Son #1 threw another fit as we got into the airport. Thankfully, I had friends waiting for me to take us home. We walked into our house at 1:30 a.m. It was good to be home.

Thank You Mom and Dad for everything that you did for us on this trip. We had so much fun, thanks for the adventure!

No comments: