Thursday, August 23, 2007


Our Wedding Anniversary

Yesterday we celebrated our 9 year wedding anniversary(My profile has said that we have been married 9 years for the last 6 months, but it wasn't correct until now. I guess it felt like we had been married longer than 8 years. We have known each other for 13 years - wow! If we would have gotten married when Kirk wanted to get married, we would have celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary. I am glad we waited.) Anyway, Kirk took me to a fancy restaurant. We know the owners of the restaurant, but we can't afford to eat there very often. The only reason that we went there is because we had 2 gift certificates that we had been holding onto since Christmas.
It was so good and the waiters were so classy. They put the napkins on our laps and moved our silverware around for us. They have a wine list - although I don't drink wine, it sounds very classy, don't you think? The whole experience got me to thinking about when I worked as an intern at CIY(summer of '97). I was at a CIY in San Diego and one of the guys took the CIY staff out to a fancy restaurant. While we were there, the director of the conference, who shall remain nameless, asked me what the fanciest restaurant that I had eaten at. He says that I said that it was my prom, where we ate with plastic forks in our high school gym. (Which is true, we did eat in our gym with disposable plates and silverware.) I don't remember telling him about that. A couple of years ago, I saw this director once again at a California CIY (Cal Poly) and he was telling me (in front of someone I went to college with) how he had related the above events to the current CIY interns. I have to tell you I was quite embarrassed. Not that I am embarrassed about my background, but I am sure that I told him that because I was joking around. By that time in my life I had eaten in some classy establishments, but he took me seriously. I think what bothered me the most was that event was the one thing he remembered about me. I could think of a few better things for him to remember me for. Now as I am writing this, I just laugh. What a thing pride is. What a silly thing to be bothered with. There are plenty of other things in life to be bothered with than someone making fun of me. I do have a ton of respect for this man and I will not to let a silly old memory ruin it for me. That being said, the restaurant that I ate at last night is the most classy place that I have eaten at.
Kirk and I had a great time. We talked about the last nine years and we talked about our next nine years, Lord willing. I must say that they keep getting better and better as time goes by.

No comments: