Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekly Bible Reading Update

Today, I read the selected reading for November 15th, but I am taking scripture from several days the past week. This past week we were reading in Hebrews 11 and 12. I love those passages. I find so much encouragement in there. When we lived in Griswold, the church wanted to encourage Sunday School, so for about a month's time we had a contest. One part of the contest was memorizing Hebrews 11. Of course I HAD to try to do it and I am so glad that I did. Memorizing something makes you really think about what you are saying and those verses spoke to me. I can't say it all from memory now, but I cherish the words when I do read them. I am going to post Hebrews chapter 11:1-3 NLT and the NIV (I memorized the NIV version and I like it better), but I encourage you to also read the rest of the chapter and also chapter 12. BTW- While I was memorizing this chapter, I was pregnant with my firstborn and it is one of the reasons why I chose her name.

NLT 1 Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see. 2 Through their faith, the people in days of old earned a good reputation.3 By faith we understand that the entire universe was formed at God’s command, that what we now see did not come from anything that can be seen.

NIV 1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. 2This is what the ancients were commended for. 3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

Have a great week!



No comments: