Friday, February 27, 2009

Praying God's Word: Overcoming Addiction

I am about half way done with the book by Beth Moore. I like what Beth says at the beginning of the addiction chapter - "Addiction is one of the cruelest of all yokes because it deceives us unmercifully and ruthlessly. It comes to us like a friend, promising to bring comfort. It kisses us on the cheek like Judas, stealing from our treasury, then rents us for a cheap fee to the opposition." I like that description and chances are you know what Beth is talking about. You, in fact, probably have an addiction. Consider it. Do you have something in your life that is promising comfort, but is stealing from your relationship with God? Do you have something that you can't stop doing, but is not God- honoring?

Oh Lord, You have searched me and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise. You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue, You know it completely. You hem me in - behind and before; You have laid your hand upon me. I do not need to feel shame or fear in Your intimate knowledge of every detail of my life because Your Word says that Your knowledge of me is wonderful! Thank You, Father! (Ps. 139:1-6)

Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Ps. 139:23-24)

God's Blessings to you!

No comments: