Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekly Bible Reading Update

I am caught up!! That is amazing because last week was VBS and I always had stuff to do. I got caught up in the Old Testament reading. The stories of Elisha and all the kings. Some of them were intriguing. Today, as I read the last 2 days in order to be caught up, I realized that I am sick of the Israelites and all of their bad choices. I wanted to reach in there and shake them. I asked God why they continue and continue to worship other gods and sacrifice their sons and daughters. This is not the first time I have felt this way, but I still don't get that. I will probably feel the same way the next time I read it. The only thought that came to me, whether it is from God or not, is when I looked at my t.v. We as Americans, don't necessarily worship idols, but we are always trying to get the latest toy in technology. We are trying to be like our surroundings. Maybe that is how it was with the Israelites - they couldn't be content. They wanted to be like everyone else. In those days, religions were like our technology. They depended so much on the elements for crops and living. Since they had little control over nature, worshipping something that did was important. I haven't researched this idea, I have just been thinking about it.

I would like to end with a scripture, the June 29th reading, Psalm 147:10,11. He takes no pleasure in the strength of a horse or in human might. No, the Lord's delight is in those who fear Him, those who put their hope in His unfailing love.

My hope is that you fear the Lord and hope in His unfailing love. Have a blessed week. My entire family is coming for the week! That is a tremendous blessing! It has been a year since I have seen my brothers and Christmas since I have seen my parents. Please pray for safe travels for them and a happy week staying in our 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom house.

No comments: