Monday, June 09, 2008

Weekly Scripture Reading Update

I just finished reading June 8th, so I am a day behind. The verse that struck me this week was in the reading for June 7th, Proverbs 16:25, "There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death." The New Testament reading for that same day was Acts 5, the story of Ananias and Sapphira. This is a couple who chose a path that led to death. This couple sold some property and brought the money to the apostles, claiming it was the full amount of the property which was sold. It wasn't, in fact, they kept a part for themselves. Because of their deceit, they fell to the floor and died. This story always strikes me to the heart. I don't know these people or their hearts. I don't know what kind of excuses they were making to themselves to cover their guilty conscience. The Lord did. I know because I am human, I make excuses for my choices. When I read this story of Ananias and Sapphira, I always am convicted to look at my life and the choices that I have made. Am I lying to myself? Have I convinced myself that I am right about something that is wrong? My hope for you this week is that you have not chosen a path that ends in death. My comfort is this, the only right path is the path to Jesus, the Christ, the Son of the Living God. He alone can save us from the path that seems right, but is so wrong.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

God Bless You this week.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Hey Becca!
We must be reading the same One Year Bible! Mine is the NIV. I've also been a day or two behind, then will catch up, etc. I just read this last night too. I agree that it causes me to look at my own life and see where I'm lying to God and to myself, or hiding things because I'm afraid to be honest.

We are in Anderson, IN right now at registration for the first week of MOVE. I'm so excited for the theme this year. We are going through the book of Acts and calling students to MOVE. It's incredibly powerful and I can hardly wait to see what will happen!

Hope all's well with you!

Sara said...

PS...I also brought Pride & Prejudice with me for my summer reading! How happy is that!

Rebecca said...

It is great to hear from you Sara! I hope that I can read through the Bible in one year. Amazingly, this is probably the farthest that I have come and I am staying pretty current.

I am excited for you. I love CIY and every year the theme is the best ever. My husband is taking the kids to Southern Cali. We haven't been there before, we've just gone to CalPoly and Oregon. It is still up in the air if I am going. Reading what you wrote makes me want to go.

It is happy that you are reading Pride and Prejudice. Sense and Sensibility is on my list for the summer.

I would love to hear how the summer is going for you. God Bless You!