Sunday, June 22, 2008

Weekly Bible Reading Update

I am posting a day early again because tomorrow is going to be very busy preparing for the first evening of Vacation Bible School. We are doing the Power Lab VBS from Group. I am teaching the lesson and I am in charge of the registration and handing out t-shirts.

I am still behind in my reading. I just finished June 17th. The I Kings 18:1-46 portion of reading contains one of my favorite stories from the Bible. The contest on Mount Carmel. I don't know why it is a favorite, it just is. I love the fact that Elijah's faith was so huge that God shot fire from the sky to burn up the altar to show that HE is the one and only God. The part of the story that makes me laugh is at the end - verses 44-46: "Then Elijah shouted, 'Hurry to Ahab and tell him,"Climb into your chariot and go back home. If you don't hurry, the rain will stop you!" And soon the sky was black with clouds. A heavy wind brought up a terrific rainstorm, and Ahab left quickly for Jezreel. Then the Lord gave special strength to Elijah. He tucked his cloak into his belt and ran ahead of Ahab's chariot all the way to the entrance of Jezreel." I wonder what that looked like - Elijah burning rubber, running faster than a chariot. Kind of like the Super Man shows when he is moving so fast that he is just a blur. I wonder if God has video tapes of history so that I can watch them when I get to heaven, because I would watch that scene. He probably doesn't because it is most likely better if most things are left to the imagination.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Yes, some things are better left to the imagination!

God's Blessings